Re: Re: FED UP!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on March 23, 2001 at 15:37:31:

In Reply to: Re: FED UP!!! posted by following follow-ups on March 23, 2001 at 15:04:54:

I've been a TUBA / ITEA member since my decision to attempt being a tuba player in high school. I've had lapses in between, but I actually missed the benefits I got from being a member, such as journals. (Incidentally, what ever happened to those cool plastic membership cards with serpents on them?) But anyway, I find the conferences to be invaluable, and the journal to be valuable as well. I like to know what is happening in the rest of the tuba world, and it is awesome to have so many talented people of all ages and "levels" concentrated in one place within the organization. This is enjoyable seeing these players as performers and clinicians at the conferences, and as contributors and featured musicians in the journals. It is also always nice to see "new" talent featured, and to be exposed to "not so popular" names.
One suggestion that maybe could be considered... I know there has been some restructuring, so maybe this has already been implemented... my apologies if this is the case. (I haven't looked at my journals closely enough lately.) I notice from the posts there are some amateurs, and possibly students, who feel the group does not have sufficient points of interest to justify their joining. What about the possibility of a panel of volunteer amateur / student members who might contribute to a specialized section within the journal designed specifically for them? (And perhaps activities of the organization as well?) Although the pros out there are definitely aware of the needs of everyone, maybe a section by and for those particular groups that feel they are the minority could be useful? Even if it were just a few people, the power of the internet is such that collaboration could be done with ease. This might entice some more of the tuba-euphonium player crowd to join... no matter what their occupation or "professional level" may be. I think these "sections" would be interesting and educational to everyone. Maybe more "specifics" would aid in the organizational aspect of the journal, since this has been mentioned in other posts.
Just one idea... take it at face value.
I think those who are working administratively for the group are definitely putting in more than their fair share. Perhaps we as a delegation can contribute something that might be of aid to them as well! So we should think together! Maybe we can help make things better for everyone.

Follow Ups: