Re: Re: considering a Conn 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on March 24, 2001 at 10:57:37:

In Reply to: Re: considering a Conn 56J posted by More info, please on March 24, 2001 at 00:38:06:

I would say that you and your situation have as much to do with a horns versatility as the horn itself. I think a 52J would work fine for Mahler in a smaller regional or university orchestra, but it probobly won't in the CSO or NYPO or the likes. I personally don't think anything but a good smallish (PT-10 size or smaller) F should be used for Berlioz to best match the sound coming from whatever bass horns existed at the time, plus these horns "cut" better in the upper register where you need it most. Also, take into example the different strokes for different folks theory. Warren deck designed the 2155 for lighter orchestra literature and quintet playing, however most of us would possibly consider that our big horn. Roger Bobo played nothing larger than a 186-5U for many years in the LAPO. Thats why so many of us can only offer general advice and say to go out on your own and try these horns. One thing to remebmer, like someone stated earlier about trying out horns, take and use only one mouthpiece for comparative testing and then if time permitted along with the chops and you had your selection narrowed down, I would then try different mouthpieces on the same horn to test their flexibility.
I personally would not put this on my short list for one horn, but would be intereted in it as a compliment horn. I really like a "German" sound while this horn sounds very "American", also I like german horns because I feel they offer better projection, which equals less work. If your really interested in these horns, do like others have advised and scrape up some money for a cheap Southwest ticket, rent the cheapest car ou can when you get there and stay in a motel in the worst part of town and try out as many tubas as you can. That is the best I can offer.
Matt G

Follow Ups: