Re: Been 21 Years - HELP! I'm Brain Dead

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on March 24, 2001 at 16:30:49:

In Reply to: Been 21 Years - HELP! I'm Brain Dead posted by Steve Kinsel on March 24, 2001 at 15:36:56:

I'm going to duck into the cloud coverage to hide from the fighters that are waiting to jump me from above (just felt like saying that). Anyway, in my much younger years, I did a lot of community orchestra, and community theatre work on a MW 4/4 rotary BBb tuba. While I wasn't real popular with my tuba teachers (or with other tubists), I never received any complaints from either conductors, or from the trombonists next to me. In fact, I was once singled out in a review of a Sibelius 2nd that I had played on my MW BBb. The reviewer said that they he/she (can't remember) would love to hear me play the dragon music from Siegried. My only point is this: I'm not sure that the differences between CC and BBb tuba are all that apparent to the general public. As for community theatre work, I actually think that the more "covered" sound of a BBb can be more advantageous than the really "live" sound of a CC. To me, it seems like a lot less work to just "blend in" like a string bass on a BBb. I think there might be one other possible advantage to a BBb: maybe it's just me, but I've had a lot more fun playing Dixieland on BBb than on CC also. In conclusion, all I'm saying is this: It can be done! OK fighters, start jumping.

Barry Guerrero
San Francisco

Follow Ups: