Re: 4 Valve Sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on March 25, 2001 at 00:06:37:

In Reply to: 4 Valve Sousaphones posted by Lance on March 24, 2001 at 22:54:02:

Mr. Chisham is (of course) absolutely correct. Sousaphones, of all tubas, play "false tones" GREAT, and with a 4th valve, you are probably adding 40% more to the weight of the valveset. As probably one of the highest-paid people in the world who have - as part of their official duties - sousaphone playing (and holding for long periods of time) you should absolutely take heed of his comments and advice. The only real benefit of a four valve sousaphone is to your chiropractor. Continuing anyway...

Historically, Conn made a few large-bodied (same body as 20K) "LONG-action" 4-valve sousaphones. I found one in a small town here in Tennessee about 20 years ago at an auction (defunct "town band" situation), and (coincidentally) sold it to the high school that my own kid is now attending. Most people that have these are not willing to sell them.

King made just a few 4-valve sousaphones a long time ago, but the rare few that I've seen have been equipped with an (also very rare for them) "oversize" (.750") bore, which was also the bore size that they used on their (fairly rare) rotary valve "William Bell" (if you will) BBb tubas.

Here is a possible (but improbable) idea: The King "Symphony Bass" (4/4 size upright tuba) .687" bore valveset is quite similar to King's .687" bore sousaphone valveset. I bet that U.M.I. wouldn't be "chompin' at the bit" to do this, but maybe (???) if someone paid them in advance, they would make some 4-valve King sousaphones. I betcha that IF they would do this AT ALL though, they wouldn't be willing to do "just one".

Conn "short-action" 20K-wise, I also happen to know that Matt Walters managed to coax U.M.I. into making a 4-valve SHORT-ACTION .734" bore cluster that he used on one of his very fine CC "Franken-tubas". However, Matt Walters has just a bit more "clout" with U.M.I. than the average dealer.

Follow Ups: