Re: what do you want to be when you grow up?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Martin on March 25, 2001 at 22:47:48:

In Reply to: what do you want to be when you grow up? posted by Phil on March 24, 2001 at 20:55:05:

Long post follows!

This is one that I've been struggling with a lot lately. As graduation starts looming around the corner, I'm realizing that eventually, I am going to have to enter the "real world". Based on all the things that the pros have pounded into my head at masterclasses, private lessons, etc, I've come to a couple of conclusions.

1. As much as I'd like to, it is probable that I may never earn the majority of my cash from playing the tuba in a major symphony orchestra.

2. Learn a double! I played a very eye-opening gig last week, and realized that "double" chops often means more than double opportunities. I double some bass trombone, and now I'm resolved to make sure that I can cover that horn proficiently as well.

3. Versatility counts. One "pro" is fond of saying that you have about the same chance of getting the tuba spot in a major orchestra as you do of being elected governor of a state. Exaggeration? Perhaps, but not much. As tuba players, I think we have to be extremely versatile on our horns, and that includes elements of improvisation, walking bass, being able to sight read anything put in front of us, and yes, we should know how to swing.

4 Non-tuba skills. Orchestration, arranging, music preparation (being a copyist) are all seemingly viable ways to stay in the business while you wait for the big job. These are just a few of many. Some freelance musicians I've spoken to make good bread contracting for gigs.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? A musician, who plays the tuba, and who can fill any spot you put him in, from Stravinsky, to Sondheim, to Sousa, to Salsa. (I love alliteration!). As long as I'm having fun and can support myself and any family that may enter the picture, its all good.

I'm just a college student, and I hope I'm not coming across as being preachy or didactic. Results may vary, but as one of seemingly millions of guys who want to make a living playing the tuba, this is what I've figured out for myself. Do I still practice Wagner, Prokofiev, and the current thorn in my side, Sensemaya? You betcha, but there's more to it than that for me. Besides, the stuff I practice to make myself more versatile makes the practice session more fun and varied.

Martin

Follow Ups: