Re: Re: what do you want to be when you grow up?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on March 27, 2001 at 21:36:33:

In Reply to: Re: what do you want to be when you grow up? posted by 9th grader on March 27, 2001 at 18:30:14:

I'ld hate to show up at an audition and see those guys!

There are not as many people earning a living playing as you might think. The Boston Symphony will most likely select a new principal tubist next week. The next audition for that job might be in 40 years. Check the union paper's want adds over the course of 1 year. There are, in a very good year, 3-5 openings in the entire country for an orchestral tubist which pays well enough to not have to take a second job just to make a mortgage payment.

Now think of every college in the entire country which has tubists who might be seriously going for these spots. Also factor in former students. Add it all up and you will see a whole lot of unemployed or underemployed musicians. I have no idea what the level of unemployement is for tubists, but I would guess it to be well over 95%.

When it comes time for an audition like Boston, your "competition" is all those unemployed musicians + current pros looking for the next step in their career. Literally hundreds of people will show up at open auditions.

You really do have better odds of becoming a Major League Baseball player, then becoming a member of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

sean

Follow Ups: