Re: Whiskers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jobey Wilson on March 28, 2001 at 12:33:47:

In Reply to: Whiskers posted by Steve on March 27, 2001 at 17:52:14:

In the past 4-5 years, I've only shaved my gaotie off once...right before the first New Mexico audition in Sept 1998. All of the "experts" said it would improve response and sound in the low register. Well, I shaved it off, and my low register was weaker than it had ever been. Couldn't get any "bite" in the sound, and the response was quite awful as well. Needless to say, I haven't ever shaved it off since. I keep it well groomed with a Norelco Maverick beard and moustache trimmer (on quite a low setting), and in the shower, I shampoo and condition the hairs as well. If I go a few days without trimming it, it does start to bother me a little, but as long as it's trimmed, I love the feel of it. Whenever I travel to have lessons with someone whom I've never met, the goatie is always the first subject to come up...kind of funny. I just tell them about the incident before New Mexico, and they never mention it again. My moustache is rather thick, but the hairs are quite fine. I can see how someone with extremely coarse hair would be really bothered by it, but otherwise, try both out (with and without hair) and form your own opinion.
-Jobey Wilson

Follow Ups: