Re: Whiskers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on March 28, 2001 at 23:28:18:

In Reply to: Whiskers posted by Steve on March 27, 2001 at 17:52:14:

I went to high school with the son of a very respected trumpet player that has played in several prominant orchestras and is currently on faculty at well known midwestern music school. The son's father has a very full beard and the story was related to me that he used to use lots of screw rim mouthpieces until he finished a lick in the middle of a concert and yanked a hunk of hair out. The beard stayed and the screw rims left.

Also, when in high school I took lesons with a tubist now in one of the D.C. bands. At the time he had a beard and I had been experimenting with the art of pogonotrophy. One day I walked into my lesson clean shaven and he asked me why. I explained that I was afraid it would affect my playing. He looked at me with and ask with a grin, "What, do you think I was born with a beard?"

I personally don't find facial hair a problem but it's easy to find many that do. Be aware that hair will get softer and less itchy once it gets past a certain length. If I trim my moustache too close it can irritate. If your beard itches just let it grow a little longer and invest in a good beard trimmer. Trimming off the neck along the jaw line can help give those of us that lack a strong jaw line a more angular face and remove much of the itching that can develop there. If all else fails just bite the bullett and live with your beard for a while eventually the itch will go away and even super wirey beards can be tamed by a good conditioner. I actually find that on the very rare occassions that I have shave in the last five years I've itched more than with the beard. It's really about what you are used to.

If this is a topic that interests you check out The Art of Growing a Beard by Marvin Grosswirth.

Good luck,
joseph 'pogonotrophy is good' felton

Follow Ups: