Re: A Bruckner question....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on March 29, 2001 at 12:40:32:

In Reply to: A Bruckner question.... posted by Bryan on March 28, 2001 at 16:53:44:

Our orchestra did Bruckner 8 in January, the scoring includes tuben (I think the unfinished 9th Symphony does also.) They were both a lot of fun as well as a challenge for me to play with, as the tuben were seated in front of the opposite end of our back row in front of the horns. When my teacher's orchestra plays Bruckner or Wagner mit tuben, they often sit in front of him and the trombones (hehe) I dunno which would be "better" but from the tuba player's perspective the seating in our orch (apart) made chorals where the tuben and tuba play with no input from the trombones a bit of a challenge, but maybe some of that was just me and also the "challenge" for horn players to even "play" the so-called "Wagner" tuben. Obviously it's easier for the tuben/horn players to be grouped together, but thats just a tiny example of some of the challenges to performing Bruckner composition (string playerses psychoses notwithstanding.) I've also done Bruckner 4 with this orchestra, and I can tell you that (far as I am concerned) there is NO need to make a back-row blow-fest out of these wonderful works, they are rich and awe-inspiring enough all on their own!

f.w.i.w.

dp

Follow Ups: