Re: Giving up....tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on March 29, 2001 at 15:49:40:

In Reply to: Giving up....tuba for sale posted by Josh Norris on March 29, 2001 at 02:02:13:

There is some good advise on this response. Please don't take any of this the wrong way. Keep playing if you can, even if you don't wish to major in music.

I know this comes from a degreed professional. but I will tell you that there are lots of professional level players that don't pursue the degree. You also know that if you should sell, and then later wish to play, the expense will be staggering.

Many of the professionals that submit to this BBS will tell you that they have performed with very capable performers who did not pursue a music degree.

Another bit of advise would be to see if there is something that you like to do that has nothing to do with music, and spend some time in it. I like law enforcement, so I am certified and work as a part-time sargeant on a local police force. In that job, I can involve myself with a subject totally away from music, even though I have a former band student and a Nashville experienced drummer on the force.

What ever you do, unless you absolutely have to, don't sell. You will want to play sometime later, and your children (if there any in the future) might want to play.

Tom

Follow Ups: