ITEC 2002 update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bart Collins on March 01, 2002 at 20:17:27:

Greetings all!

The International Tuba/Euphonium Conference 2002 is quickly approaching. Over the next few weeks we’ll be bringing you glimpses of what to expect during the conference. We hope you’ll consider joining in Greensboro, NC May 28-June1.

Bart Collins & Dennis AsKew, Hosts
www.itec2002.org

News Update 1, March 1 from the perspective of Euph-Man.

Well, here we are—Day one of ITEC 2002. This building is really nice! The lobby area is nice and open, lots of room—and the displays—I hope I have time to get to everything!

The shuttle ride over from the Marriott was easy—no worries there—hope it’s that way all week. At 10 the conference officially opens. That should be cool—wonder what they have in store for that….

The 11 am recital looks good—Oystein Baadsvik and John Mueller—wonder what Oystein has up his sleeve this time?
Then, straight into another recital—Velvet Brown and Tormod Flaten—he’s that Norwegian euphonium player I’ve heard about—looking forward to hearing him.
Now I have a choice—to go hear Norm Pearson in a lecture/demo of orchestral section work or Brian Bowman’s Euphonium Class. Hmm. Probably go to…….

2 pm—Concert by Tubalate’—heard a lot about them—from England, right?
3 pm, another choice.Dixie Lecture by Steve Call, or recital by Dave Zerkel, Joe Skillen and Stacey Baker. Decisions, decisions….
4 pm. Lecture by Matt Walters. This guy knows what he’s talking about.

5 pm. Rehearsal for the Low-Blowers—50 or so of us, from what I hear all amateurs rehearsing and PERFORMING at ITEC. Way cool.
Now off to Aycock Auditorium—this is a neat old building—what, maybe 70 years old? Neat, though. Prelude concert by University of Kentucky Tuba Ensemble. Should be good! Here we go—the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra—with soloists Steve Rosse (John Williams Concerto) Riki McDonnell (you know the New Zealander--) doing some Arias, Markus Theinert (from Germany) doing the Falstaff Concerto by Kroll (always was curious about that work—should be good!) Demondrae Thurman (Symphonic Variants—yeah baby!) and Adam Frey performing an Albinoni Concerto—bet that will just be pretty!.
Now back to the hotel—for the Afterhours Jazz—Hank Feldman is in charge—should be good! I think it is Miller Time!!!

Can’t wait until tomorrow!

Follow Ups: