Re: Helleberg mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Billy M. on March 04, 2002 at 00:17:19:

In Reply to: Helleberg mouthpieces posted by Eric on March 03, 2002 at 22:07:41:

The Conn Helleberg 7B is a smaller mouthpiece more like the original Hellebergs made in the 1930s. Back then they didn't have the precision tools to keep the cutting agent sharp enough to make the mouthpiece as small as they were. Because of that the more dull it got, the bigger the mouthpiece became until they discontinued making Hellebergs until the recent reentry into the market. The problem was, they took the old cutting tool they had in it's still dull form and shaped the new cutting tool with the same specs, leaving us with the new Hellebergs being as large as they were at then end of the original series. I believe that some people noticed this so Conn went and found one of its early originals and shaped another tool for cutting the mouthpiece with it. The result was a Helleberg mouthpiece smaller than the current Conn but closer in shape and size to the early original. They stamp this one as the 7B, with its smaller backbore, cup, and cup diameter.

I believe the Schilke Helleberg is a closer copy to the current Conn Helleberg, making it larger than the 7B. As you've probably already seen from previous postings, I've given a load of info on the Schilke 66. I know its history because I use the 66 and wanted to know more about it. I love the mouthpiece... it's strength being that it's much like the original Conn Helleberg (down to the hundredth of a millimeter in measurements) but with added weight to make it have a more focused, darker sound.

If you'd like more info on the Schilke 66, feel free to email me, search past postings again, or reply to this posting. I'd be glad to give you a lil more history.

Hope this helps

Billy (loves his Schilke 66) M.

Follow Ups: