Re: AHH!! Where should I go for college??!?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 04, 2002 at 13:47:43:

In Reply to: AHH!! Where should I go for college??!? posted by confused! on March 04, 2002 at 11:48:42:

Wow, talk about deja vu! This is exactly where I was in 1979. Graduating Interlochen Arts Academy and accepted to Michigan and Northwestern. Is that a weird coincidence or what? The decision was made for me because at that time, Mr. Jacobs (teacher at NU) had a disagreement with NU and decided to take some time off from the school. I had no idea who was going to teach in his place so I attended UM and studied with Torchinsky.

My advice to you is to take a lesson with each of the prospective teachers, Kaenzig and Martin, and then see which one you get the most from. The interaction between teacher and student is very personal and there is no guarantee that a given great teacher will be the best choice for you. You're lucky in that both guys are great teachers. You just have to hope that at least one of them will "click" with your needs and playing. Both schools are great, both studios have a great reputation and storied tradition, both schools will offer you a first rate music education. You're in a great position when you don't have to worry about all that other stuff and can concentrate on finding the best teaching match for you. Best of luck to you!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: