Re: PT-22P Eb Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by austin glass on March 04, 2002 at 17:59:56:

In Reply to: PT-22P Eb Tuba? posted by Randy Mac Iver on March 03, 2002 at 23:01:21:

i also have a silver PT-22 and my feelings are mixed. the horn plays great and i like the sound but the intonation is not nearly as good as my CC PT6. i figured i just needed to get used to playing Eb and i do like it a lot better now that i've had it for 6 months. i'm a grad student at yale and i've used it for brass quintet which it sounds great in, i listened to a recording of a performance my quintet did and it sounds better real good, the intonation problems i worry so much about are not noticed, just have to work a little harder with a tuner. I was just at dillon and i played it side by side with a besson 983 (i think that's the number)and i asked a few people to listen and they liked the sound of the PT 22 better, i liked them both about evenly, felt the PT 22 could get a little more kick but the besson played more in tune.

please don't hear me wrong, the PT 22 is a great horn but i wouldn't get it until i tried a besson and possibly a wilson too

i cut almost an inch off the first and third valve slides and that made a huge improvement, from what i've been told they are going to be making improvements on the horn to help the intonation in the future but i can't confirm that

hope this helps

austin

Follow Ups: