Re: Miraphone with unresponsive notes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 04, 2002 at 23:03:20:

In Reply to: Miraphone with unresponsive notes posted by Les Smith on March 04, 2002 at 20:21:06:

I have had a somewhat similar problem, when I received my renovated Conn 40K almost 2 years ago.

Some of the notes fingered 2+3 sounded quite odd. But as all of the notes played with 3 alone were fine, it took me quite some time to realise, that the problem was the spit valve on the 3rd slide. The edge of the protrusion had gotten a tiny radial groove. The problem was easily remedied with a fine file.

The only common denominator for the bad notes of the Mira in questions seems to be the 2nd valve slide. (As long as the general sound and response is satisfactory, the valves should not be overly worn)

If the male branches are worn, some heavy grease might be the answer. I am very satisfied with the Yamaha petrol-jelly-type slide grease.

The ferrules of the same slide might have a soldering gone foul.

Sympthom hunting of this type can be done by most players themselves. With some applied carefulness, the method should be non-destructive.

But again, the root of the problem can sometimes be found in odd places. My York Master was in a very bad shape, when I got it from NC. Some notes fingered 1+2 were odd. When I washed the horn out, water came running out under the ferrule between the 3rd and 4th branches. When the soldering was tightened, the bad notes disappeared.

Klaus

Follow Ups: