Re: Re: Re: any pro's playing on kalison tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Cary on March 07, 2002 at 09:06:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: any pro's playing on kalison tubas? posted by Bryan on March 07, 2002 at 01:57:43:

I would agree that one plays a horn because it is the horn that gives the player the sound that one is looking for. For some people that may be a 186, others a 56J, and other a Kalison. I have owned a Kalison since 1995, and it was purchased new from the TE. It replaced a 186 that I had played for over 10 years. For me, the Kalison had a bigger sound, better projection, and slotted notes better. My slurring is also better on piston horn than on rotary horns. Since I have owned this horn, I have recieved many complements on its appearance and more importantly, on its sound. It has a great low register, and this register projects better than the Yamahas and Mirafones in my band. It also seems to work well for me in various sized ensembles and hall sizes. Is it the best horn on the market? No. Does it play as well as a Hirsbrunner? No, but it also cost half as much. I have no problems with its construction, in fact it is more "dent resistant" than my old 186. But then again, I don't handle it like a gorilla. There are some pitch problems, but none that are insurmountable. It may not resell with the highest value, but then again, were I to sell it today, any "loss" against the original purchase price would be more than offset by the money I have made with it in the last 7 years. Again, one should buy a horn because it is the right horn for them; not based upon what someone plays.

Follow Ups: