Re: Re: Owners of Boosey Solbron Tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on March 09, 2002 at 15:33:49:

In Reply to: Re: Owners of Boosey Solbron Tubas? posted by Scott Norberg on March 08, 2002 at 18:44:00:

Lee Stoffer knows a lot about tubas that need to be restored. I think he would do a fine job, but I live in Europe.
When I bought the tuba (in a train station in 15 minutes while traveling) I thought the flatness was just a pitch problem caused by a long main tuning slide being put on a low pitch instrument. One shop said it had no leaks anywhere. Another shop said it leaked all around the valve casing. It plays a half-tone flat. People say the Boosey tubas of the early part of the century are had to blow and are stuffy. It may be because the valves are not in the best condition and because of other leaks.
I am trying to sell mine, since I have 2 other tubas anyway, through John Myatt in Hitchin, England. If it cannot be sold at a cheap price for a 4-valve compensating EEb, then after several months I will get it fixed.
I believe that such a tuba would play like the later B & H Imperials if the valves were replated and there were no other leaks. Of course, a Sovereign would play more easily and have a finer warmer tone. Perhaps, no one would fix the tuba to resell it--it would maybe only be worth it if someone was going to play it. Fixing it might not be economical if one only wanted to resell it. But, if it were fixed well, it might play well. Also, it might last longer in fine condition than a used B & H Imperial. If the entire valve block and valves were replaced, for example, think of how long they would last without problems.
In ebay in the last year there were at least 4 people who sold Boosey Solbron tubas for up to $850. In all cases, as I remember, the people reported the need for "some work" though they apparently sold the tubas for several hundred dollars.
I would not restore mine for several months, in any case.
Best regards,
Bill

Follow Ups: