Re: Upper Register Exercises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on March 10, 2002 at 11:09:42:

In Reply to: Upper Register Exercises posted by Sam (again) on March 08, 2002 at 12:44:05:

Rochut -Trombone. Actually I use it for all registers. Play it loco, down one octave, then down two octaves. The b-tbone book mentioned costs a little more, but is a great compliment to Rochut. Play with just enough pressure to make a seal. It causes you to use the muscles and support with air. If it's fuzzy, it's ok, as that will change in time. When I get serious about upper range, I buzz the mouthpiece. Glissando (with no pressure) from a comfortable note (in the staff) up to the highest note you can buzz. No pressure. Focus on the muscles and breath support. Hold for a moment, then gliss back down. Then I gliss from lowest note to highest, hold, and gliss down again. Do these for about fifteen minutes, and see how your embouchure feels. Do it longer each time. You get that same feeling in your muscles like when you lift weights. Tear down the muscle, and it grows back stronger. Ask a physiology prof or a physical therapist. That's what bodybuilders do. Think of it as Arnold Schwarzenegger of the Tuba. Jeff Funderburk has good buzzing tips on this in the TIPS section of this site. Good luck. NO PRESSURE! (No, your face will not end up looking like Steven Tyler's)

Doc

Follow Ups: