Re: University of Michigan....opinions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael G on March 11, 2002 at 23:18:57:

In Reply to: University of Michigan....opinions? posted by Heather on March 10, 2002 at 12:45:29:

I am a tubist that has been out of school since the mid-80's and I have resided in Ann Arbor since. I did not attend UM but work regularly with Prof. Kaenzig and many from his studio and I can tell you this.... Prof. Kaenzig continuously has one of the finest tuba and euphonium studios I have ever heard. His students are always winning top awards and positions and just when you think you've heard the "wunderkind-to-end-all-wunderkind", he comes out with another one! Not only are they excellent players, Fritz's students are also some of the most professional and pleasant people to work with. The work ethic of his studio is fantastic and (get this) they all get along. I am constantly blown away by how well his students play. I have never heard a student speak ill of him or his teaching techniques. Fritz is an excellent teacher, a leader and motivator. I have not studied with him for some time but when I was, I came out of my lessons pumped. Here is one way to view it: When was the last time you paid someone to point out all of your (playing) faults and you walked away just thrilled?! I never left his studio without learning more about my playing, how to improve something, and usually something of my own ability/self esteem. Studying with Fritz is a pleasure.

As for the school itself, it is one of the top in the country. All in all, you could not go wrong with UM. Couple that with Ann Arbor and the rest of the Metro Detroit and you have a great place to be.

My 2 cents....

Michael G.

Follow Ups: