Re: Shank for a Besson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike I on March 13, 2002 at 11:55:02:

In Reply to: Shank for a Besson posted by Curious on March 12, 2002 at 18:50:21:

One of my horns is a 30 year old Besson (built like a tank). I really like my Schilke 67's and had Schilke shave the outside of the schank of one of them and they fitted it to the horn. I had them do this years ago and it has worked very well. I don't think they even charged me to do it and if they did, it was a nominal amount. I would think any good repair shop could do this for you.

Mr. Schilke was a good guy and would go out of his way to help you out. When I was a kid in 8th grade he spent two+ hours with me getting the right mouthpiece even though I was spending the grand total of like 20 bucks. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet are musicians or in the music business.

I also have used the Dennis Wick mouthpieces in the smaller shank sizes, but prefer the Schilke. Just my personal preference.

My horn (bought used) came with a Besson mouthpiece in the smaller shank size. You might be able to find one of these used, but mine was on the small size cup wise and gave a much brighter sound with a great high end and no low end.

Good Luck,

Mike Incopero

Follow Ups: