Re: Tuba Mouthpieces?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 13, 2002 at 21:34:47:

In Reply to: Tuba Mouthpieces? posted by Dan Mordhorst on March 13, 2002 at 17:56:05:

If one likes ones mouthpiece, then one should stay with it. That is my basic idea.

I have played the Conn Helleberg on my Conn 26K Eb for years. The rim contour is the best I have met so far.

When I started hunting for a real Eb tuba I realised, that I needed a larger mouthpiece to achieve the sound I had in my imagination. The largest readily available in Copenhagen was the DW 1L. At first try it improved my sound, and there was no loss of top range. So that was a keeper for the first period.

Working with it on my then new Besson 981, I realised, that I wanted even more sound. One solution was the aquisition of my BBb instruments. But first I phoned Bob Tucci in Munich. Despite his skepsis, he sent me a PT-50 on trial. He found it far too large for a .689 Eb instrument.

When it arrived I tested it for sound and playability on the 981. Very good despite the round rim with no real edge, which is against any of my general ideas on mouthpieces. But the large cup gives an enormous potential for applying control by means of the airstream.

What really convinced me, was that the 26K suddenly could be played in tune in the range above the 10th partial, where the Helleberg could not remedy the flatness, that I think is inherent, at least to some degree, in the 26K.

When the BBb's arrived the PT-50 was a perfect match for them, too.

If you like the Helleberg, but would like something heavier, there of course is the model from the maker of Jettone mouthpieces.

Another option is to find a metal shop in your area and have them turn you a mouthpiece weight in brass or bronze. The profile is not as important as the Morse taper of the hole (the diameter decreases 1/20 of the length of the axis). Of course it shall be as close as possible to the throat area as possible. And it should not prevent the mouthpiece to be seated perfectly in the receiver.

If you find such a shop, they also might make you a mouthpieceweight for your DW 0AL

I have had an old ships engineer make me a weight out of a bronze nut for a ships engine. The sloping hexagonal profile does not bother me.

Klaus

Follow Ups: