Re: Re: Re: Bass Bone mouthpieces vs Euphonium range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brendan on March 14, 2002 at 03:36:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bass Bone mouthpieces vs Euphonium range posted by ngkokhin on March 13, 2002 at 22:07:46:

The Hirsbrunner exclusive is a great horn. You really get that tenor tuba sound. The intonation is great, and the horn has a good range of pitch on each note while still maintaining quality sound, so if you can hear the note you can play it in tune. Also, the response in both upper and lower extremes of register is wonderful.

I haven't played the Willson 2950 as much as the 2900, but I know certain notes like the high D do not respond well at all on the 2900. Also, the low range can be very stuffy on that horn. The exclusive plays better than other hirsburnner models. The valves have a slightly smaller bore on the exclusive; but with the larger bell, this allows you to play quite loudly without losing control. The vavles are actually the same as the Willson 2900 valves, I believe. Overall, the horn works equally well in solo, band, and orchestral literature. I just played offstage brass on Pines of Rome, which was great. Of the horns I have played or tried (Hirs, Willson 2900, Besson 967, Yamaha 642), the exclusive really stands out, at least for me. Good luck!

Follow Ups: