Re: Re: Re: Re: Tone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 14, 2002 at 18:16:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tone posted by Klaus on March 14, 2002 at 16:26:13:

The guys I know who play on the Getzens make a much fuller sound than I do on the York Master, heh, heh. Of course, that is not the question you were asking.

I haven't really done the sort of comparison that would answer your question. I can't really appreciate the York unless I'm in a large room where the sound reflects back to me for some time after I stop playing. In that reverberation, I an hear especially well the qualities of the York. I've never tried in the G-50 in similar circumstances.

In terms of the response you get as a player, with the willingness of the horn to go where you point it without feeling overly bright, stuffy, or out of control, the Getzen is a great performer. I just love to sit and play it. I felt the same way about the very large converted Yorks that I have tried recently (including the one pictured on my web site). It isn't so much a matter of size, but more a matter of response of the scale.

I'm not saying that it is a replacement for the 5/4-sized YM, just that it has a full and rich low register compared with older .689-bored horns you may have have tried. Based on having played it and some other instruments with smaller bore and larger bells, I wonder how strong the influence of bore is on the results. Certainly there is some influence, but perhaps not enough to make it a primary factor.

Rick "looking forward to comparing the YM to the Conn 20J" Denney

Follow Ups: