Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: War Requiem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on March 15, 2002 at 20:15:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: War Requiem posted by Lew on March 15, 2002 at 12:23:08:

Please forward this to your brother for me. Perhaps he'll get a kick out of it:

Sir,

You do not compose "classical" music. For a piece to be so, it must be a "classic". So far, I haven't associated your name with any classics.

What you DO compose, sir, is "government" music: music which is commissioned by the government, and not by anyone in particular who might be hoping to hear something which inspires them. Thus, government music almost always lives up to its expectations.

A not-quite-as-government-type of composer (though some government commissions have been accepted), John Williams (one person), may end up being the the composer of a few "classics". When all of the 20th century government composers' music is put into one collection, I would not wager on any classics from that collection. Is John Williams' music recognizable? Predictable? Absolutely, as is Mozart's, Strauss', and most other composers of classics. Rossini was/is considered by some to be a composer of "junk" music. However, many of his works are classics, and soar above the bar of 20th century government music.

- someone who taught at two different large universities, but who "couldn't take it"

Follow Ups: