Re: Prefered 5th valve config?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on March 17, 2002 at 11:17:56:

In Reply to: Prefered 5th valve config? posted by Ian Easton on March 17, 2002 at 07:51:33:

This is a question I have also grappled with.

From a theoretic stance, the "miraphone system" a 2&3rd valve combination provides for the most possibilities of in-tune notes.

The more common long whole step, for me, is more intuitive, especially on F tuba.

The 1/2 step fifth valve, which I have never used, seems like a valid option because you simply add the 5th valve when you get into the register where all the notes are about a 1/2 step sharp. I think this would be easier if the 5th valve was left hand operated (ala Cerveny).

I chose a Miraphone CC tuba because it had the sound that I wanted and it happened to have the 2&3 combination type 5th valve. If I had a choice, which there now is, I would have opted for a long 1 step. My F tuba has the whole step and It works well for me.

In short, it really doesn't matter as long as you can play it in tune. Standardizing may make life easier when sight-reading. As for that low F - with the 2&3 type 5th valve, It is perfectly in tune using the 2,3,5 combination. At least on my horn.

Follow Ups: