Re: Re: Re: Re: PT-4 vs Mirafone188 vs MW2145

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ Dickman on March 17, 2002 at 12:32:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: PT-4 vs Mirafone188 vs MW2145 posted by Doug Whitten on March 16, 2002 at 23:26:46:

Good point Doug. When I was in the process of purchasing Tony Clement's Yamaha YFB621S F tuba we talked about these matters. There was one thing he said I could identify with. When I asked him how the tuba sounded (remember the big thread regarding an F tuba sounding like an F or small C?), he said the he sounded like Tony Clements on any tubas he played. Russ Dickman sounds like Russ Dickman on any tuba he plays. This adds weight to the statement that the player provides much to the equation. Bottom line, try and buy the one that works for you regardless of the name brand. If you are a young player then it is going to take time for you to develope your sound and it may take several instruments in the process. Like Joe S. said, he can make music on some very quirky instruments. Those instruments in the hands of a capable player can sound like the "holy grail". The excited novice player may go run out and purchase this "holy grail" and be very disappointed when it sounds very different in his/her hands while along best instrument for him/her was sitting in his/her bedroom.

In my humble opinion,

Russ Dickman

Follow Ups: