Re: Re: Re: Re: gubmunt 'poser goes on tirade at concert

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 18, 2002 at 16:27:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: gubmunt 'poser goes on tirade at concert posted by E. Oliver on March 16, 2002 at 16:49:16:

If the 'artist' wanted to create that monstrous abomination, it's a free country. Let him do it. But the idea that he would use MY OWN money to denigrate the central purpose of my life, and that of millions of others whose money was confiscated to pay for it, is obscene.

While the wrongness of tax-supported 'art' in this particular case is more blatantly obvious than most, it is really only more unfair and unjust in a visceral sense. Taking taxes from some guy trying to keep food on the table -- and giving the money to a painter, sculptor, composer, poet or tuba player -- is W-R-O-N-G. It really doesn't matter how you or I feel about the resulting art, we shouldn't expect Joe Sixpack to pay for it. How would you feel if there was a tax on your income that went to subsidize new COPS episodes?? Or WWF rasslin'? Plenty of good folks would much rather enjoy those forms of entertainment, and they (through patronage of advertisers and ticket sales) support their entertainment. Consumers of 'art' should do likewise.

DISCLAIMERS:
o No, I am not opposed to art and music instruction in the public schools, but I think too much emphasis is placed on trips and contests, and selling junk to raise funds should be abolished; and
o Yes, I know that the percentage of my taxes used to support the arts is a small one. So what? If it's one penny, it's MY penny. I want it back.

Joe Baker, who pays a BUNCH in taxes and seldom finds a government-sponsored event that is of interest to him.

Follow Ups: