Re: Re: g-50 or 2155

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Hahs on March 18, 2002 at 17:28:12:

In Reply to: Re: g-50 or 2155 posted by opinion on March 18, 2002 at 13:40:44:

Hey!

Well, I own a 2155s, and have played a few 2000's and several 2155's. The 2000 definitely has its own sound, and is very easy to play. However, that sound to me was too light, and wasn't the sound I wanted; especially to be able to blend with larger ensembles. But, my horn, playing and comparing side by side with a 2000, played just as open, and had unbelievable intonation. I also played another 2155 that same trial, which was pretty stuffy, had a completely different feel, and intonation issues.

The prices are quite different as well, and it seems that you have found your price range with the horns you mentioned, so the 2000 could just very well be out of that price range! But it is possible to find a 2155 that is pretty damn close to a 2000!

I have been able to use my 2155 in quintet, a tuba-euph quartet, and other smaller groups. It sounds great in the larger groups I am in as well, and can support a group very easily, especially compared to my Cerveny piggy. I sometimes opt to use my piggy in smaller groups, mainly because it is there to use. However, if I didn't have the piggy, I could easily get along with just my 2155.

If you haven't checked out the 56J like Todd Morgan mentioned, you should give it a try. For some players it works like a charm! For me, it didn't. But that's why we go and try out all these horns!

Try as many as you can, good luck, and have fun!

Jay Hahs

Follow Ups: