YFB822 (large Yamaha F Tuba) FOR SALE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Forbes on March 19, 2002 at 09:14:54:

Hello all!

I'm selling my Yamaha F tuba. It is the larger of the two F's that Yamaha makes (the 822). It is brass (lacquered) and had 5 valves (4 piston & 1 rotor). This is the F tuba that many people describe as sounding like a small CC (perfect for quintet work). It is also the F for people who want instant command of the entire range of an instrument and don't want to be bothered learning a whole new approach to making notes in the lower register sing.

Other professionals who have played this type of instrument include: Jim Self, Toby Hanks, Roger Bobo, and others that escape my memory at the moment. Grant Harville and I (2 of the 4 USA finalists in Finland's Lieksa Brass Competition last year) both used our Yamaha 822 F's for our recordings.

It's a great horn. I recently had it appraised by David Fedderly for insurance purposes and though it was deemed a 9.5 out of 10, David noted that it has a few minor scratches, dents & dings (unfortunately, I have to photos at this time). The intonation on it is as fine or finer than any other F tuba that I've ever played.

Okay, so it plays great, sounds great, looks great . . . why in the world am I selling? My teacher, Toby Hanks, is going to sell me his old Yamaha F (822S). The only difference is that his horn is silver and it was once HIS. Simply put, I like the idea of continuing a musical tradition on that horn.

A new version of this horn costs around $7000-$7500. I'm asking for $5600. This includes a Yamaha hard case. The buyer will pay shipping from D.C.

Email me privately if interested.

Thanks,
Mike Forbes

Follow Ups: