Re: looking for insight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on March 20, 2002 at 11:16:18:

In Reply to: looking for insight posted by Elliot on March 20, 2002 at 00:30:21:

If I can throw in my $0.02 -
Both these individuals are great teachers in their own right. They are both associated with fine music institutions. They both have fine placement records. Let's look at some numbers for a minute and address the main concern of all college bound miusicians - playing opportunities.

Michigan has a fine orchestra - Indiana has 4 symphony orchestras, a baroque orchestra and a chamber orchestra. At indiana each orchestra does a full opera each semester - some players do more than one. Then you have the "gig pigs" - my wife and I were both members - which is a core of Indiana players that flesh out the basics of the Evansville Symphony, the Columbus Symphony, The Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra, the Richmond Symphony and the Owensboro Philharmonic - for money.

There are numerous brass quintets and brass ensembles and the composers there give you ample opportunities for world premiers (I did at least two quintets); you also have studio performances and occasions like Octubafest and Tuba Christmas. There is a terrific New Music Ensemble under the direction of David Dzubay and that is an ensemble that will really challeng you.

What it boils down to is that, at Michigan you may wind up in one of the bands for much of your time there while at IU there is the potential to do some orchestral and other playing as well.

Just a few ramblings from my experiences.
Roger

Follow Ups: