Re: How to pay for a tuba-loans vs. other

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on March 20, 2002 at 23:13:06:

In Reply to: How to pay for a tuba-loans vs. other posted by options on March 20, 2002 at 17:35:12:

A nice topic. I'll share my opinions as an amatuer tubist and seeing the retail side, too.
1) People will always afford what they value most. If your priority is to get a tuba that costs more than you have on hand, your choices are; earn more money, spend less on other things, get the same or another horn at a lower price.
2) You may need to delay short term gratification to acheive your desires of an expensive tuba. That often includes accepting a lesser tuba until you can trade it in, and plop down the rest of the cash.

If you have relatives of some means, borrow the money. Be sure you pay it back! I payed back my grandmother for a tuba she would have been pleased to just give me the money for. But as I made my last payment, the look of respect in my grandmother's eyes was priceless. Credit cards that offer rebates can be a way of minimizing the cost of the tuba. A 5% rebate toward a new car the folks were going to buy, is the same as 5% off the cost of the horn. That's cost versus price. Will having your own horn get you any scholarships in college? That doesn't affect the purchase price but helps cover the cost of the horn. Beside, how many dixieland or church gigs does it take to pay for a bran "H"? Those bored pew sitters don't know a brand "N" from a $500 Eb.

If you and your family just don't have the funds for a $14,000 brand "H" or for that matter a $7,000 brand "MW", then you will have to settle. There are fine used horns that show up. If you can't come up with $4000 for a used CC then maybe you will have to settle for a great BBb at $3000. There is much tuba playing and music making that can be done on a ood, used $2500 instrument. It may be a one off. It may be ugly, but who cares? Below $1500 there is usually something wrong with the horn or it doesn't have a 4th valve. If you still can't afford to work and save at this price level, how are you going to get your first car?

When you have a few nickels, ASK! If you ask each of the tuba shops on Sean's list, "What is the best playing horn you could sell me for around whatever dollars?", you may be suprised to find one shop's dust collector is your dream tuba.
Oh well. These are just my thoughts on that subject and of course subject to change.

Follow Ups: