National Brass Virtuosi

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Graves on March 21, 2002 at 16:27:53:

I had the opportunity to hear these guys last night at Baylor University, both at a masterclass and in concert. Knowing that there are still a few remaining performances on their tour itinerary, I must admonish anyone within earshot -- GO AND HEAR THEM!! As stated in a previous post, the ensemble consists of Michael Sachs (pcpl tpt/Cleveland Orch), Mark Neihaus (pcpl tpt/Milwaukee Sym), Michael Mayhew (assoc pcpl horn, Cleveland Orch), Richard Stout (2nd tbn/Cleveland Orch), and Dave Kirk (pcpl tuba/Houston Sym). The concert program consists of works by A. Gabrieli, Peuerl, Scheidt, Farnaby, Ewald, Lutoslawski, Takemitsu, John Stevens, and Jan Bach. In my opinion, it's rare that most individuals (such as myself) get the opportunity to hear such great music performed by such accomplished musicians (all brass players at that)in one sitting. The Ewald (No.3) was absolutely breathtaking. I drove 6 hours to hear these guys, and it was worth every mile of the trip. Remaining concerts: Mar 21 (AT) 5:00/Sam Houston State University/Huntsville, TX; Mar 22 (AT) 8:00pm/Blinn College/Brenham, TX; and Mar 23 (AT) 2:00/Rice University/Houston, TX. I believe the program will be abreviated everywhere except Blinn College. Admission is free.

David Graves
USAF Band of the West
Corpus Christi Symphony

Follow Ups: