Re: How to pay for a tuba-loans vs. other

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Horns paid off on March 22, 2002 at 05:07:48:

In Reply to: How to pay for a tuba-loans vs. other posted by options on March 20, 2002 at 17:35:12:

It is always good to go into debt if you plan to make money playing the instrument down the road. Tubas hold their value over the long term, as opposed to a car or computer. People don't think twice about spending money on a car payment or buying a computer, but are reluctant to buy something which has lasting value. I made good money with my instruments. Yes it took ten years to pay them off, but I would not have it any other way, and at the time interest rates were a lot higher than they are now. I would not go into debt if I were not going to plan to make money with the instruments. At the low interest rates available today all you have to do is play a few gigs a year to pay the interest. The principal value of the instrument either stays the same or goes up. This takes into consideration buying a high quality used instrument. Shiny new horns do lose value in the used market. People who begrudge the fact that they are going to make payments on their instrument have not thought out their motivation for having the instrument in the first place, and perhaps should sell it. Will that happen? I doubt it, because then they will realize that they cannot part with the tuba that they love playing dearly. Buy the horn. Get the loan and plan to pay it off. Enjoy playing a good quality instrument.

Follow Ups: