Re: HELP!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubadeer21 on March 22, 2002 at 06:53:35:

In Reply to: HELP! posted by Tom on March 21, 2002 at 22:57:29:

I used to do a ton of solo contest playing...
i read an article once in our state educator's journal when i was in high school doing this sort of thing. it recommended to NEVER play your solo on your own just before going in to perform. if you make any little (or big!) errors, it only makes you more nervous. this sort of thing is likely to happen in that situation when you are nervous to begin with, so don't tempt fate, so to speak. i never did this after reading that, and i know it is very psychologically true. also, use adrenaline to your advantage, whenever possible. have fun! you're getting to perform and showcase your hard work.
also, the article said to play your scales AFTER the solo, ESPECIALLY if you are insecure with them... if you mess up on a scale, then you won't be in the negative frame of mind ... this will reduce the chance of messing your solo up too.
as far as scales go, just play them, and with a metronome, gradually incresing tempo. one thing i used to do, and told some of my students in the past to do, is to make a "scale bottle". take an empty soda bottle, or any kind really, and put little pieces of paper with all the scale names you need to know. pull one out and random and be sure you can play it. this lets you pick completely randomly, and simulates such a situation as you face in competition. don't be discouraged, scales will come with time and work.
i don't know that there is a trick to making melodics in particular easier, other than just working at them and knowing the pattern, being able to "hear the intervals."
finally, one other thing i can suggest is to check your instrument just beforehand. make sure your slides move, waterkeys are emptied, and valves move freely. knowing your instrument is in good working order will be somewhat of a relief, and just take one mroe thing off your mind that you don't need to be worried about!
hope something here helps! Best of luck to you! (:
good luck!

Follow Ups: