Re: Re: Ascending valve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on March 24, 2002 at 10:27:06:

In Reply to: Re: Ascending valve posted by Frederick J. Young on March 24, 2002 at 09:21:16:

Your comments and encouragement are greatly appreciated, sir. Thank you.

I will try to access your article for edification. I am truly humbled to have had an idea that you hadn't considered.

I believe that the ascending whole step 5th valve would more correctly serve as an auxillary to the 4 or 1&3 combination, but it would also have the pedal range DD(played 5) and CC#(played 2&5). My concern is that the descending 2nd valve is too long for that CC# to be in tune. But then, my playing is all a matter of compromises anyway, since I, in all respect to your work, don't have the luxury of having an instrument of your design.

On another topic: I did have a great time playing Shostakovich #13 last night. The author of the poetry, Yevgeny Yevtushenko, was present and gave some great readings, the bass soloist, Sergei Leiferkus, was fantastic and our Russian conductor, Edvard Tchivzhel, was truly in his element; as, it seems, was my Rudy Meinl 5/4. It was a milestone performance.

All the best to you.

Follow Ups: