Re: Re: a few questions : )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 24, 2002 at 22:30:20:

In Reply to: Re: a few questions : ) posted by New Hans Mueller on March 24, 2002 at 19:59:57:

The Chinese have gotten smarter!

They still induce suspicion, when they use model names like Parrot, Jing-Bao, or Haydn, which no schooled Westener would use for trumpets and tubas respectively.

But "Hans Mueller" has a certain German smell to it, as has "Symfonie". I have been tempted to consider instruments of the latter name for closer testing. Until I was told by the pro-salesman, that they were of Chinese origin.

A major tuba designer of Transatlantic fame, also as a musician, personally told me, that he was involved in a Chinese made student/amateur line, that was produced in China. Not satisfying yet, but a road unavoidable to go.

The educational strings market is ahead of its brass equivalent on this point.

Decades ago Yamaha was despised. Today we are in a situation, were it is legitimate to choose Yamaha. In my ears they even have achieved a state, where the choice will be pro or contra Yamaha for reasons of "sound culture". I find Yamaha mellowish and round in the grand picture. Hence my two Yamahas are a euph (641) and a flugel (631). I would never take one of their trombones for myself, as mellowness for me easily translates into lack of spirit in trumpets and trombones. Yet I considered the YTB 354 a gift to young students and teacher alike, while I taught brass. And their cornets, alto horns, baritones, and euphs out of the 2xx and 3xx series were giant steps ahead of their Brit and GDR competition, when it came to intonation, egality, and general playability.

Along this Asian road I could walk some Jupiter-miles as well. But that will have to wait for an occasion violating the original thread somewhat less.

Klaus

Follow Ups: