Re: Re: Re: Intoxicated Tubists Declared Dangerous

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on March 26, 2002 at 08:35:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Intoxicated Tubists Declared Dangerous posted by Chuck(G) on March 25, 2002 at 17:25:40:

I find it hard to believe that we would be stepping on a kid's rights by mandating testing. Especially when juveniles already enjoy more protection under the law than adults.

For example:

1. When a juvenile is in police custody, they are separated from everyone else, and have different rules for questioning. No matter what the alleged crime, they usually can not be questioned without the parent being involved.

2. Juveniles already have a more relaxed system of punishment for felonies than adults. Let's look at shootings involving juveniles as the suspect, and seeing their records cleared by their 18th or 21st birthday.

3. Juveniles are treated differently in our federal government by having the right to a free public education. Adults do not have that right.

Although this is a shrot list of differences, there should not be a point in saying that our students are being unfairly treated. They are protected from what you and I have to suffer for the same wrongs.

Oddly enough, I agree with most of the protections afforded juveniles. They are not mature enough to understand the ramifications of the legal system to justify letting them defend themselves. However, their protections are more than enough to let them be the number 1 rated repeat offenders in the justice system.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: