Re: 46K Sousaphone Boxed For Amtrak

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on March 27, 2002 at 11:33:23:

In Reply to: 46K Sousaphone Boxed For Amtrak posted by Steve Clark on March 26, 2002 at 18:54:18:

Aw, they got ya! Musical instruments, baby carriages and few other things are billed by actual weight, not cubic volume. It's in the rates manual in small print and most agents don't know about it, but they've believed me everytime I've told them.

I've done so much business with Amtrak that the local clerks know me on sight. When I'm getting a tuba in, they spot me, nod, and meet me by the freight door--Í don't even wait in line any more. Shipping is always seamless and takes about 10 minutes tops to do paperwork and all. We still use our old train depot, so it has a nice huge freight door.

Tip: Do the things the way the Amtrak folks tell you--they get very confused if you try to anticipate them.

On the other hand, I just spent about 45 minutes at the local Greyhound GPX office while the clerks did their best to figure out what to do. Much headscratching ("Where's Massachusetts? I get all those little states back east confused.") and questions. But they were very courteous.

Follow Ups: