learning to repair brass instruments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Norberg on March 27, 2002 at 11:55:04:

That's a really bad subject line for what I'm asking, but I couldn't think of anything better that would fit.

Anyway, as I've mentioned before I'm thinking of going to instrument repair school next year and delaying going to graduate school in tuba performance for a year. My interest is mostly in tuba repair and rebuilding and using a teaching job at least as supplemental income, so I'm not so concerned if I do this as a full-time job.

What I'm wondering, are there repair shops around the country (especially in the Minneapolis area, I have a girlfriend nearby that I want to see if I can stay near, if I can't I am willing to put my career first) that would be willing to take on an apprentice for six months or so? It occurred to me that I could go to a repair school and have training in brass repair, but not stick around for the woodwind training. If I could then get an apprenticeship from the time I leave the repair school and the time I start grad school, I'd be much better trained for what I want to do. First of all, is this possible? Secondly, is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Scott

Follow Ups: