Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Sousas for High School Marching?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 28, 2002 at 10:43:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Sousas for High School Marching? posted by Nitpicking on March 27, 2002 at 23:52:51:

Is this Conn literature available anywhere on the net?

Another major development in sousas would be the introduction of plastic bodies some 40 years ago. Whether this is to be considered an innovation or a retrograde step might be discussed.

Joe S once wrote something to the effect, that the Conn 22K plastophone in many ways was a better instrument than some less ambitious brass sousaphones. I never had the chance to try a plastophone. Where do they, weight aside, most differ from the brass models? Is it the sound? Do they have a "rubberlike" response?

A feature found on never sousas, but missing on old Conns, is the top slide on the 1st valve loop. Hardly of any consequense when marching. But good for low C, B natural, F, and E natural in seated playing. (On my 3 valve old Conn Eb I pull the 2nd slide for the corresponding low E natural and A natural. I once met the present owner of Hirsbrunner . We discussed that old 26K of mine. I told, that I found low F and Bb less sharp, than was to be expected from notes fingered 1+3. Hirsbrunner told, that it was part of old tuba maker’s wisdom to make the 1st and 3rd valve loops too long. But not longer, than a good player hardly would notice, that he had to lip up notes fingered 1 or 3 separately).

Is there any common knowledge, whether the wider and lighter modern bells are more "ringing" and "afterglowing" than the older bells were?

Klaus

Follow Ups: