Re: Eb vs. F, I need some help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on March 28, 2002 at 22:55:31:

In Reply to: Eb vs. F, I need some help posted by A curious Tubist on March 26, 2002 at 01:09:18:

Having played Eb for 5-6 years before switching to F . . . .
1. I wanted a small bass tuba to cover a euph / 2nd 'bone part in a 4-tet. But I wanted one that would play well in tune, and have a decent (tuba) low range. Jay Bertolet is the only person I've run into who went to the trouble to have a small Eb built to cover this type of sound -- the "solo F" type of horn, but in Eb (he modified a Cerveny 4V Eb by adding a 5th valve, I believe). Since there seemed to be a real "hole" in the market for such a horn in Eb (something similar to the YFB-621, with 4V comp or 5V), I decided to switch to F, specifically to buy something like the YFB-621.
2. I also like the larger selection of F tubas available -- in a variety of shapes and sizes (and sounds) BTW. I think there's a better selection and more options with F.
3. Switching was not particularly fun, but easier than the first time I switched from BBb to Eb.
4. If I had been able to dream up a 5V 3/4 Eb solution for my 4-tet needs, I would have considered saving up to also buy the Willson 5V Eb, and used it for 5-tet and also comfortably in my 15 pc brass choir and in an occasional civic theater pit orchestra gig. I think the Willson 5V Eb is a very good choice for an all-around, single tuba (as is the 3/4 Rudy CC I briefly played once upon a time).
5. Fearing the Willson Eb might still be a little small for a few odd situations, I bit the bullet and decided to go the traditional F/CC route.
6. Conclusions: with either Eb or F, you have good choices for a 4/4 or 5/4 size horn -- a horn that will sound rather like a small-ish CC. Some of the more "medium" sized Ebs (like my Besson 983) do sound a little lighter in the upper register, but still a little "broad" to pretend to be a 2nd 'bone in a 4-tet if playing the notes as written. I also think there's a wider set of options with F than with Eb, but the horns cost more. (If you'd be happy with a 3V, top action Eb for a 3/4 size horn, then there are many, older Ebs out there that will work, however.) The choices for a "quality" horn in the 3/4 size is especially limited with Eb. With F you can choose the YFB-621, the MW 182 (?), or the Cerveny CFB-654-6, maybe more. With exception of the Willson Eb (and maybe a new PT model -- the 22?) most of your Eb choices are compensating 4V horns. These have an annoyingly increased amount of air resistance below the low Bb -- your level of annoyance may vary.

My generic thoughts and experiences, perhaps beneficial to someone.

Steve Inman
amateur tuba-guy
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: