Re: Re: More focused and accurate sound?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sam on April 02, 2002 at 21:20:24:

In Reply to: Re: More focused and accurate sound? posted by Archie on March 26, 2002 at 22:00:57:

I agree. Sometimes we see intervals in the music and we get all tense and raise the back of the tongue before we even get to the high notes and therefore, the notes before the high note have an airstream that may match that of a note an octave higher, and consequently the high note will be cracked or burbled as well because by the time we finally get to the high note the airstream is way too high.

A lot of people responded to the origional posting by saying that this problem can be solved by changing air speed and buzzing on the mouthpiece. Yes, and what I just posted is the reason for practicing centering the pitches in the mouthpiece by buzzing because it insures the correct air speed. When you are buzzing, you are forced to use the correct air speed or you'll get the wrong note.

I wouldn't rush into thinking that the problem is caused by your equipment. Try the air stuff first. You may have to slow down your practicing to one note (low Bb or C, depending on the fundemental pitch of your horn) making sure it is centered right from the start. This could mean playing the same note over and over for an hour. After you get that fundemental note centered move up one note at a time staying relaxed as if you are still playing the fundemental note. It keeps you relaxed and keeps the back of your tongue down.

A little long winded but I hope you found it helpful.

Follow Ups: