Re: STEVEN SEWARD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on March 03, 2003 at 15:22:49:

In Reply to: STEVEN SEWARD posted by :) on March 03, 2003 at 14:55:13:

He is the tubist for the Kansas City Symphony. He is also an alumnus of the University of Michigan. He is into classic cars and has recorded 2 cd's which I am aware of. Originally from Richmond, Mo, his father, Ken Seward, was the band director there during the 70's. The Richmond High School Band during that time was outstanding. I have heard several recordings of them and they rivalled many college ensembles. It is obvious that the director had an excellent musical ear and was able to make good use of the talent available to him.

Steve Seward's mother, whose name escapes me at this moment, is also musically talented and has made several arrangements of tuba solos for band accompanyment. I believe she has a fine arrangement of the Bozza Concertino for tuba and band, which Steve has performed several times. Perhaps I got the tune wrong, but neverless the entire family is into music.

Steve also has a sister, Lynn, who is a clarinetist with the US Navy Band in Washington, DC. I can remember how she was a bit of a local hero in the band when I was a student at Richmond for a year or two. The fact that she made it to one of premier bands and was from Richmond served as a bit of inspiration for a young 14 year old freshman tubist in Mr. Pointer's high school band. When my wife got her job in the Navy Band and we first moved to DC, Lynn Fryer, maden name Lynn Seward, drove us across town for some in processing paperwork. I felt again like that 14 year old kid who got to meet the Richmond High School Band legend Lynn Seward, the clarinetest. I still get a little giddy thinking about how small the world really is and now she is just Lynn and my wife goes to the same building every day that a childhood hero of mine goes to.

Follow Ups: