Idea: heavyweight receiver

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on March 04, 2003 at 15:55:24:

Is is reasonable to asssert that a receiver fitted with added mass would produce similar results to using a heavyweight version of a mouthpiece?

I've considered this as a practical matter; why A-B my favorite mouthpiece in regular and heavyweight versions, If a removable receiver weight could enable the same comparison for any mouthpiece?

I make some basic assumptions in this theory:
- mouthpieces fit solidly in the existing receiver
- the added mass device fits very solidly to the receiver
- most mouthpieces are sufficiently stiff enough that having the mass well-coupled to the shank is as good as it being part of the mouthpiece itself.
- some horns are less influenced by mass changes than others

I picture a two-piece type of device that fits around the receiver with tolerances close enough that it would be difficult to deform the receiver itself by attaching it.

Just to set the record straight on the mass issue, I believe that the impact of mouthpiece mass on out-front sound itself is pretty negligible.
I have found, however, that the mass changes the experience for the player. Kinda like the correct model of tires on a car have little impact upon its showroom value, but make a big difference on the road. How the horn "feels" affects how we interface with the instrument as musicians.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this?

Mark "no patent pending" Mazak

Follow Ups: