Re: Horn shops in Prauge CZ??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on March 05, 2003 at 13:11:07:

In Reply to: Horn shops in Prauge CZ?? posted by Mark Rubin on March 01, 2003 at 18:00:29:

Hi,

There is a multi-story music shop off of Wencelslas (sp?) Square - walk away from the opera house and take a left at the other end. They had a few Amati-Cervany tubas, but I asked them about used instrument shops and they directed me to one outside of the tourist district. It was about 3 stops on the subway system, and then a 10 minute walk.

The workers in that shop didn't take credit cards, didn't speak English, and didn't seem to have come around to the concept of customer-focused business, but they had loads and loads of interesting used instruments there for very good prices.

Prices at the time - 4 valve tenor trom - $50
4 valved bass in F = $60
Bb tuba - (i.e. euphonium pitched, but looked just like a minature German Alex style tuba, red brass, 4 rotary valves) - $120!!

I didn't have enough Czech cash, they didn't take credit cards, and I only had 2 hours to get to the airport. Man that hurt.

I don't know if these shops are still there, but good luck anyway.

Also, you might try going to the Cervany/Amati factory - apparently it's about 60 miles outside of Prague.

Jeff

Follow Ups: