Looking for an excellent sounding Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben Morris on March 08, 2003 at 22:35:03:

Hello all,

Today I had the pleasure of playing my first five valve CC tuba and it was a blast. It was a definate improvement over the 3 valver I have at the school I work for. While it was a nice horn there were some things that I did not like about it and I'm not about to drop $4500 on a horn that I will be happy with for a lifetime. Color me frugal.

What I really liked about it was that it was nimble yet present, had a nice, warm sound and it did fairly well through out it range although there were a few quircks. I also liked the improved linkage system over the Mirafone I had in college. Although I loved that horn, there was always a matter of shake, rattle, and roll when it was being played if you know what I mean.

What I would like to have is a BB flat or CC that really sings when it is played. A wonderful golden rich sound with nice resonance. A horn that plays nice full low Gs, and Fs but stays rich and full in the upper register from G below to F above middle C. That F will be mine, oh yes it will be! Sorry Vaugnn Williams moment....sighs.

The size should be around 4/4 or 5/4 and be able to be cradled when played. Slides should be adjustable when played and the main tuning slide should slide right to left, not up and down.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm starting this process now and I anticipate it will take a while....I'm picky. The most important thing to me is a wonderfully rich sound.

Ben "who should know more but doesn't" Morris

Follow Ups: