Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on March 10, 2003 at 08:09:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Klaus on March 10, 2003 at 02:44:14:

I often find that some of those who are the most adamant regarding intonation issues are aurally some of the most callous towards it.

When my tuner is sitting on my music stand (every time I practice for the entire time I'm practicing - a lot these days) I often see that I'm as much as 5-10 c. off temperament. Of course, I replay the passages and try to pull things in a bit better, particularly if I judge the discrepancies to be in critical spots (which is another factor which hasn't been weighed in this thread).

I cannot comment on community bands and whether I'd stay, because I don't play in community bands very often.

Again, I think a perfect unison sustained c that is, say, 10c-15c flat sounds better than an out-of-tune c with come slightly above pitch (typical CC tubas) and some below pitch (typical BBb tubas). This slight flatness would fit most listener's ears anyway, when one considers the phenomenon of "fifth tuning" (a very old tuning system) in which the bass strings of pianos are tuned quite flat yet sound in tune.

Again, for practical application on this specific type of compromise - as far as listeners would be concerned - you're wrong this time.

Joe "who doubts that some others would be as honest in their self-assessments" S.

Follow Ups: