Re: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on March 10, 2003 at 08:11:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Jeff Hildebrand on March 09, 2003 at 21:03:08:

In spite of what others may be saying, I agree with Rick totally. It's not about being in tune vs being. out of tune, it's about tendencies, especially when playing in an amateur group. It just makes sense that tubas in the same key will have harmonics that line up and play together easier. Of course one can play in tune in that type of group with a CC tuba, but, especially for an amateur, there's no need.

The hierarchy of tuba costs, everything else being equal, are Eb, BBb, CC, F, in increasing order of cost. The least expensive tubas available are used 3 valve Ebs. Unfortunately Eb tubas rely on the 4th valve, which increases the cost, to play in a good part of the range commonly encountered in band music. A 3 valve BBb tuba will generally cost less than a 4 valve Eb and can handle almost anything a beginner may encounter, although intonation will suffer on the low C and F. Since you have decided on sticking with BBb (a good decision in my opinion) the 10J should be fine to get back in shape on.

It's a good idea to get your chops in shape on a loaner horn before buying anything new so that you can play test whatever you buy and have some feel for whether you are comfortable with it or not. If you were to go out and try something now, after having been away from it for years, it would be difficult to tell the difference between different horns. I speak from experience, having gotten back into playing a few years ago after having not played for 18 years.

Good tubas that are available today new in your price range are the VMI 2103, Cerveny 686, and Jupiter 582. The King 2341, Meinl-Weston 25, Miraphone 186, and VMI 3301 will all be a little over $3500 new, but any one would be a good choice. You may be able to find them used or "demo" models for less. I would avoid the other horns that are available new in your price range. There are more expensive horns available too that would be worth considering if you decide you have some extra money to burn.

I suggest finding a store or stores that have as many of these models in stock and getting there to try them out after having been playing again for at least 6 months. Try out used horns too as they will often give you the best value and may play better than some of the new ones. Of course there are the models that are no longer made, like the Conn 2XJ or 3XJs, or old Holtons. Some people love these and some hate them. Play whatever you can find and decide for yourself. Just don't buy a horn site unseen from that auction site. You might get a gem, but you're more likely to get a dog that someone's dumping.

Follow Ups: