Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 10, 2003 at 08:50:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Rick Denney on March 10, 2003 at 02:21:49:

Thanks for the exchange, Rick. I have had the good fortune to play with other musicians who have been able to achieve high standards. I have also had the kinds of experiences you have described. Indeed, at one rehearsal, the director remarked that the trumpets and clarinets were playing so much out of tune, it sounded like they were playing wrong notes!

Two more examples: For the second worst: Some years ago, while attending a musical event put on by my daughter's fifth grade class, I had the thought that this would be a feast for academics, as the musicians were playing in every possible temperament simultaneously. The worst I have ever heard was in a movie (The Long Goodbye, 1973). Most of the movie's music was good stuff from John Williams. Some of the movie was set in a small town in Mexico, and the musical background there had the most excruciatingly out of tune band I have ever heard. I couldn't believe that professionals, no matter how skilled, could create that sound. I also have never heard students that bad. At the end, as the credits rolled, I noted a big credit to the municipal band of that Mexican town. It was an authentic sound! It was a musical(?) experience I'll never forget.

I think the original poster, Jeff, has enough of our respective backgrounds and experiences by now to judge which of our approaches matches him best. And, if he chooses not to follow one (or both) of us, he can have some basis for his choices.

Jeff, welcome back to the world of the tuba. I hope you have fun, whatever approach (or succession of approaches) you take.

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: