Re: A couple of euphonium questions.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carroll on March 10, 2003 at 09:19:42:

In Reply to: A couple of euphonium questions..... posted by Heather McDown on March 09, 2003 at 14:42:33:

Well, Heather, I was going to stay out of this one... but some responses struck a nerve. I am one of those band diectors that so many posts have said they know. "could not make it in... so now he is a b.d." "did not make the cut so now he is a b.d." etc. I am a band director because I love it. I make a difference in my students' lives everyday.

I used to tell all of the undergrads that I spoke with to get an education degree, just in case. I have, over the past few years of performance oriented student teachers, changed my mind. Please do not. Unless you really want to teach - do not get in front of a band. These children are not a "fall back" option. Major in something you would love to do. You can play no matter what your diploma says.

While I am in no way an artist level player, I play a lot! I play euphonium in a professional level wind ensemble and a euphonium quartet. I solo at my church and at other churches around the region. I guest solo with area high school bands. And I play trombone. Last year I played 60 money jobs (I know because we just did our taxes) - thats more than one a week. There is a big band, a jazz combo, and pit orchestras. I could find more gigs, but I want to spend some time at home with my wife and kids.

I guess my bottom line is this... do not teach becuase it is convenient, it is too important.

Follow Ups: